Help protect your pet from costly vet bills
More than ever, pets play such a huge role in our lives. We want to do everything to keep them safe and healthy. Help make sure your furry family members are protected against unplanned vet expenses for covered accidents or illnesses with MetLife Pet Insurance.
Visits to the vet can be unpredictable and expensive. Pet parents spend over $31.4 billion on vet care annually, and 24% of pet parents have gone into credit card or personal loan debt as a result.¹
A small monthly payment can help you prepare for those unexpected vet expenses down the road.
- Flexible coverage with up to 100% reimbursement
- Covers care provided by any licensed veterinarian, specialist or emergency clinic in the U.S.
- Optional preventative care coverage²
- 24/7 access to Telehealth Concierge Services
- Discounts and offers on pet care
- Coverage of pre-existing conditions when switching providers³
- Lower deductibles if no claims are submitted during a policy year
- MetLife Pet mobile app to submit and track claims and manage your pet's health and wellness
What MetLife Pet Insurance covers
- Accidental injuries
- Exam fees
- Hospital stays
- Diagnostic tests
- Hip dysplasia
- Hereditary conditions
- Congenital conditions
- Chronic conditions
- Alternative therapies
- Holistic care
- Much more
What does the plan cost?
Each pet's premium will be unique based on the age, breed, location, and the coverage amount you select.
You can customize your policy based on the following options:
- Annual coverage maximum: As low as $500 with an unlimited option also available. Other coverage maximums available from $1,000 to $25,000 in $1,000 increments.
- Deductible: Choose from $0 to $2,500
- Reimbursement percentage: Options available from 50% to 100%
As an AFA member, you are eligible for a group discount⁴ on pet insurance coverage.
Independence American Insurance Company
485 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Metropolitan General Insurance Company
700 Quaker Lane
Warwick, RI 02886
MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions LLC
(1) American Pet Products Association (APPA) State of the Industry as presented on 3/24/21 (https://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp); and the 2019–2020 National Pet Owners Survey conducted by the APPA.
(2) Can be purchased at an additional cost. For IAIC underwritten policies, optional Preventive Care coverage is based on a Schedule of Benefits. For MetGen underwritten policies, optional Preventive Care coverage is included in the annual limit.
(3) We do not cover all pre-existing conditions, just those covered by the previous provider where there's no gap in coverage from your prior plan and your MetLife Pet Insurance plan.
(4) This discount is not available in MN or TN. This discount is only available to individuals who are eligible members or employees of an entity that has arranged for MetLife to offer pet insurance to its population. (For IAIC underwritten policies, the discount is 10% for Groups > 1000 lives and 5% for Groups 51−999 lives. For MetGen underwritten policies, this discount is 10% for Employer Groups of all sizes and 5% for Associations of all sizes).
May not be available in all states.
Reimbursement options include: 70%, 80%, 90% and 100%. In addition, there is also a 50% option for MetGen underwritten policies only and a 65% option for IAIC underwritten policies only.
Accident and optional Preventive Care coverage begins on midnight EST of the effective day of your policy compared to a wait time of 2 to 15 days for many competitors; Illness coverage begins 14 days from the effective day of your policy compared to 14 to 30 days for many competitors, based on a January 2022 review of publicly available summary information about competitors' offerings. Competitors did not furnish copies of their policies for review. If you have questions about a particular competitor's policy or coverage, please contact them or their representative directly.
For IAIC underwritten policies only, premium will also be based upon the pet’s gender.
Your pet’s deductible automatically decreases by $25 (for IAIC underwritten policies) or $50 (for MetGen underwritten policies) each policy year that you don’t receive a claim reimbursement. May not be available in all states.
Annual limit options range from $1,000−$25,000 in $1,000 increments. In addition, there is also a $500 annual limit option for MetGen underwritten policies. Unlimited benefit option subject to availability.
Deductible options range include: $0−$750 in $50 increments and $1,000, $1,250, $1,500, $2,000 and $2,500.
Benefits are provided if all terms of the policy are met. Application is subject to underwriting review and approval. Like most insurance policies, insurance policies issued by IAIC and MetGen contain certain deductibles, co-insurance, exclusions, exceptions, reductions, limitations, and terms for keeping them in force. For costs, complete details of coverage and exclusions, and a listing of approved states, please contact MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions LLC.
Pet Insurance offered by MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions LLC is underwritten by Independence American Insurance Company (“IAIC”), a Delaware insurance company, headquartered at 485 Madison Avenue, NY, NY 10022, and Metropolitan General Insurance Company (“MetGen”), a Rhode Island insurance company, headquartered at 700 Quaker Lane, Warwick, RI 02886, in those states where MetGen’s policies are available.
MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions LLC is the policy administrator authorized by IAIC and MetGen to offer and administer pet insurance policies. MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions LLC was previously known as PetFirst Healthcare, LLC, and in some states continues to operate under that name pending approval of its application for a name change. The entity may operate under an alternate, assumed, and/or fictitious name in certain jurisdictions as approved, including MetLife Pet Insurance Services LLC (New York and Minnesota), MetLife Pet Insurance Solutions Agency LLC (Illinois), and such other alternate, assumed, or fictitious names approved by certain jurisdictions.
L0423031279[exp0425][All States][DC] © 2023 MetLife Services and Solutions, LLC, New York, NY 10166 — All Rights Reserved.