A Legal Services Plan from MetLife covers the costs on a wide range of common legal issues. Access experienced attorneys to help with estate planning, home sales, tax audits and more.
Quality legal assistance can be pricey. And it can be hard to know where to turn to find an attorney you trust. For a single annual fee, you can have a team of top attorneys ready to help you take care of life’s planned and unplanned legal events.
A MetLife Legal Plans give you access to the expert guidance and tools you need to handle the broad range of personal legal needs you might face throughout your life. This could be when you’re buying or selling a home, starting a family, dealing with identity theft, or caring for aging parents.
One Annual Fee
For $216 a year ($18.00 a month), you, your spouse and dependents get legal assistance for some of the most frequently needed personal legal matters — with no waiting periods, no deductibles and no claim forms when using a network attorney for a covered matter.
How It Works
Our service is tailored to your needs. With network attorneys available in person, by phone or by email and online tools to do-it-yourself — we make it easy to get legal help. And, you will always have a choice in which attorney to use.
You can choose one from our network of prequalified attorneys or use an attorney outside of our network and be reimbursed some of the cost.1
Estate Planning at Your Fingertips
Our website provides you with the ability to create wills, living wills and powers of attorneys online in as little as 15 minutes. Answer a few questions about yourself, your family, and your assets to create these documents instantly.
In states where available, you also have access to sign and notarize your documents online through our video notary feature.2
Legal Assistance When You Need It
A MetLife attorney can help you with a wide range of legal matters:
Money Matters - Debt collection defense, identity theft defense, personal bankruptcy, tax audit representation, tax collection defense, promissory notes
Home & Real Estate - Boundary or title disputes, deeds, eviction defense, foreclosure, home equity loans, mortgages, property tax assessments, sale or purchase of home, refinancing of home, security deposit assistance, tenant negotiations, zoning applications
Estate Planning - Codicils, complex will, healthcare proxies, living wills, powers of attorney (health care, financial, childcare, immigration), revocable and irrevocable trusts, simple wills
Family & Personal - Adoption, affidavits, conservatorship, demand letters, garnishment defense, guardianship, immigration assistance, juvenile court defense (including criminal matters), name change, parental responsibility matters, personal property protection, prenuptial agreements, protection from domestic violence, review of any personal legal document, school hearings
Civil Lawsuits - Administrative hearings, civil litigation defense, disputes over consumer goods and services, incompetency defense, pet liabilities, small claims assistance.
Elder Care Issues - Consultation and document review for your parents’ deeds, leases, Medicaid, Medicare, notes, nursing home agreements, powers of attorney, prescription plans, wills
Vehicle & Driving - Defense of traffic tickets3, driving privileges restoration, license suspension due to DUI, repossession
- You will be responsible to pay the difference, if any, between the plan’s payment and the out-of-network attorney’s charge for services.
- Digital notary and signing is not available in all states.
- Does not cover DUI.
How to Use the Plan
1. Find an attorney - Create an account at www.legalplans.com to see your coverages, select an attorney and get a case number for your legal matter. Or give us a call at 1-800-821-6400 for assistance.
2. Make an appointment - Call the attorney you select, provide your case number, and schedule a time to talk or meet.
3. That's it! There are no copays, deductibles or claim forms when you use a network attorney for a covered matter.
Limitations & Exclusions
No service, including consultations, will be provided for:
- Employment-related matters, including company or statutory benefits
- Matters involving the employer, MetLife and affiliates and plan attorneys
- Matters in which there is a conflict of interest between the employee and spouse or dependents in which case services are excluded for the spouse and dependents
- Appeals and class actions
- Farm and business matters, including rental issues when the participant is the landlord
- Patent, trademark, and copyright matters
- Costs and fines
- Frivolous or unethical matters
- Matters for which an attorney client relationship exists prior to the participant becoming eligible for plan benefits.
For all other personal legal matters, an advice and consultation benefit is provided. Additional representation is also included for certain matters. Please see your plan description for details.
Once your insurance coverage has been approved, there are three methods of payment from which you may choose:
- Automated bank withdrawal. Payment options for monthly automated withdrawal from a checking or savings account.
- Credit or debit card. You can choose monthly, quarterly, semiannual or annual payment when you pay by credit card or debit card.
- Direct bill. You can pay monthly, quarterly, semiannually or annually when you mail a premium notice
The next enrollment period will be November 15, 2023 - January 31, 2024.
MetLife Legal Plans
1111 Superior Avenue, Suite 800
Cleveland, OH 44114
Forrest T. Jones & Company*
P.O. Box 418131
Kansas City, MO 64141-8131
*For residents of Arizona, the administrator is Forrest T. Jones Consulting Company.
Group legal plans are administered by MetLife Legal Plans, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. In California, this entity operates under the name MetLife Legal Insurance Services. In certain states, group legal plans are provided through insurance coverage underwritten by Metropolitan General Insurance Company, Warwick, RI. For costs and complete details of the coverage, call or write the company. Some services not available in all states. No service, including consultations, will be provided for: 1) employment-related matters, including company or statutory benefits; 2) matters involving the employer, MetLife and affiliates and plan attorneys; 3) matters in which there is a conflict of interest between the employee and spouse or dependents in which case services are excluded for the spouse and dependents; 4) appeals and class actions; 5) farm and business matters, including rental issues when the participant is the landlord; 6) patent, trademark and copyright matters; 7) costs and fines; 8) frivolous or unethical matters; 9) matters for which an attorney client relationship exists prior to the participant becoming eligible for plan benefits. Coverage for defense of criminal matters is excluded from insurance coverage for individuals located in New York. For all other personal legal matters, an advice and consultation benefit is provided. Additional representation is also included for certain matters. Please see your plan description for details.
MetLife Legal Plans | 1111 Superior Ave, Suite 800 | Cleveland, OH 44114
© 2022 MetLife Services & Solutions, LLC L0521013954[exp0822][All States][DC, PR]